DR. CHARLES W. WEAVER
FROM: The History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin, and Williamson Counties, Illinois (Chicago: Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1887). P. 751-752.
Charles W. Weaver, oculist and physician, was born in Tippecanoe County,
Ind., in 1836, one Of Dine children of John and Catherine (Honer) Weaver,
natives of Darke County, Ohio, and born in 1807 and 1806 respectively.
They received but a limited education. John's parents, Jacob and Elizabeth
Weaver, were natives of Germany, as were also the mother's people. John,
the father, was married about 1833, moved to Tippecanoe County, Ind.,
among the early pioneers, and settled on Government land. He was a
well-to-do farmer, and died in 1874, and the mother died in 1882.
Both were for some years members of the Baptist Church. Our subject
is largely a self-educated man, he began life as a farmer, and in 1858,
began the study of medicine under Dr. J. Leslie, of Elwin, Ill.
In November, 1863, he dropped study and enlisted in Company A, One
Hundred and Sixteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was in active
service six months when his enlistment expired. In November, 1864, lie
again enlisted in the Twelfth Indiana Battery, and remained stationed at
Nashville. Tenn. until the close of hostilities. He soon resumed study in
Macon County under Dr. Leslie at Elwin From 1867 to 1869 lie practiced
near his old home in Carroll County. Ind. He then located at Neoga. Ill.,
made a Special Study of the eye, and has since been most successful in
various parts of the State. He has also a large general practice. October
9, I857, he married Catherine Leslie. Their two children are Sarah E.,
wife of Lewis Walter, and Joseph P., both of White County. His wife died
In 1867 be married Mrs. Nancy Hudson, nee Overly. Their three
children are Minnie 0. (wife of H. D. Cheek), Flodie E. and William C.
This wife died in 1877, and in 1878 he married Mary A. Shaw. Their
child is Charles W., Jr.
This wife died in August, 1881 and in August, 1883 he married Mrs.
Amelia Harvey. Their child is Mary E. Since 1882 lie has lived on his
present choice farm of eighty acres, which lie has made remunerative,
Politically he is a Republican, but cast his first vote for
Douglas. He was formerly a member of the United Brethren Church.
Back to Hamilton County Back to Hamilton County Biographies