From: Chillicothe Constitution (MO), Saturday, October 28, 1905



Death due to Apoplexy and Thought Might have occurred about 9:30 Friday Night

          H. H. Carpenter, one of the most prominent business men of Chillicothe and a member of the clothing firm Carpenter and Starkey was found dead on the floor of the room at the residence of Harry Uncles, corner Vine and Webster streets, at ten o'clock Saturday morning.  The body was rigid and dissolution had evidently set in hours before.  Death was due to apoplexy.

          Mrs. Uncles discovered the corpse.  She went to Mr. Carpenter's room to wake him up.  He had been accustomed to sleeping late in the morning and she had thought it necessary to try to arouse him before.  She knocked on the door but heard no sound inside.  Thinking perhaps he had gotten up and left without her knowledge she opened the door and almost stumbled on the corpse.  She called to Mr. Flory, a carpenter, who was working on the second floor of the house and told him to summon a doctor.  Flory realized that death had come some time before and told Mrs. Uncles a doctor would be of no service.

          The body was lying partially on the side in front of a chair.  Mr. Carpenter died about half past nine o'clock Friday night.  At that time he came home from the clubs, where he had been during the early part of the evening.  He went directly upstairs to his apartment. 

          The kindling in the stove was undisturbed and the lamp was still burning when Mrs. Uncles entered the room Saturday morning.  The corpse lay extended in a fairly natural position.  One had was extended and the other, under the breast, held a copy of Thomas Jefferson's writings, the book being open at the page containing the Monroe doctrine.  Mr. Carpenter was fully dressed, and the hat being on the head when the body was discovered.

          A slightly disturbed pile of papers in the chair gave foundation to the theory that he had sat down and immediately fallen to the floor.  Death is thought to have been instantaneous and incident to the rupture of a large blood vessel in the brain.

          Dr. B. N. Stevens, Mr. Carpenter's physician, and County Coroner Dowell together with Dr. William Girdner viewed the body and decided that death was due to natural causes.

          Mr. Carpenter had been in failing health for several months and the decline in his condition was painfully apparent to his close friends.  About two months ago he suffered from the rupture of a small blood vessel in the brain and was very ill for some time.  He seemed to grow better and during the past few days was considered greatly improved.  He himself thought he was growing better steadily and continued to devote himself to business affairs.  He ate supper with his usual relish Friday night.

          Dr. Stevens had urged Mr. Carpenter to place himself under the care of a specialist but he would not hear of it.  He thought his condition did not justify such procedure.

          Harry H. Carpenter was forty five years old.  He was born at McLeansboro, Ill. and spent his boyhood days in the public schools of that place.  After he had graduated from the McLeansboro schools he entered Eastman's college at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. and later was enrolled in the military school at Sing Sing, N. Y.  While there he received an appointment at the hands of Congressman Townsend of Illinois entitling him to enter West Point.  He remained in the school for about three years when he returned to his home town and started in the banking business.

          Shortly after he had entered business life he was appointed by President Cleveland secretary of Land Commissioner A. U Sparks of Illinois.  He held this position until September, 1889, when he came to Chillicothe and entered the clothing business with W. F. Starkey.

(Page torn off)

From: Chillicothe Constitution (MO), Saturday, October 30, 1905



Elk Ritual Witnessed by Scores of Friends--Remains Taken to McLeansboro

          The obsequies over the remains of the late Harry H. Carpenter, conducted at Elks hall, Sunday afternoon at three o'clock, were attended by scores of friends of  the prominent Chillicothean, whose sudden death from apoplexy Friday night cast a gloom over the business portion of the city.

          The large assembly room was completely filled there being those who were not able to secure seats.  Previous to the services at Elks hall short services were held at the home of  J. T. Bradshaw when Rev. Alton made a very few remarks.  The body was accompanied to the uptown club by many brother Elks and friends.

          J. L. Schmite, the exalted ruler, presided  over the devotional observance of the Elks.  The hymn "Nearer My God to Thee" was sung by the congregated people, and, directly following Rev. Alton offered a prayer.  A quartette composed of Mrs. H. M. Grace, Mrs. J. M. Dean, Wade Wright and J. M. Dunn say "Lead Kindly Light."

           The funeral ritual of the lodge consumed about thirty minutes, many Elks testifying to the faithfulness with which Mr. Carpenter observed the rows he took when he became a member of the order.

           The eulogy was pronounced by Fred B. Brady and was a tender masterful tribute to the memory of the late clubman.  The remarks were made feelingly and reference to the admirable life of Mr. Carpenter fell on sympathetic ears.  The recital of the ___and accomplishments of the ___ was brief and well put.  The address was the praiseworthy effort of an accomplished speaker and was received as such.

          Preceding the process of Elks by the casket, which was heavily laden with flowers banked in beautiful confusion, the quartette rendered the selection, "Lead Me Gently Home."  According to the custom of the lodge, slips of evergreen were cast on the coffin before the benediction, which was pronounced by Rev. Alton. 

          A guard of the Elks was stationed about the casket until 11:30 Sunday night, when the body was taken to the Burlington depot and shipped to McLeansboro, Ill. for interment.  The funeral party which left here consisted of Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Starkey, B. L. Williams and B. V. Gill, the last two named being representatives of the Elks lodge.

From: Chillicothe Constitution (MO), Saturday, October 31, 1905



Chillicothean Was Loved As a Brother In Home Town--Estate Valued at $55,0000

          According to the funeral arrangements made by relatives, the final obsequies of the late Harry H. Carpenter were held in the Methodist church at McLeansboro, Ill. Tuesday afternoon.  Several Chillicotheans were in attendance.

          The funeral party, which accompanied the remains to McLeansboro, arrived at the destination at noon Monday.  A large crowd waited at the depot and expressions of deep sympathy were heard from all sides.  The body was taken to the home of Mrs. Eckely, a cousin.

          That Mr. Carpenter was loved as a brother in the Eckley family and admired as a man of unusual merits by his follow townsmen were greatly evidenced.

          W. F. Starkey, Mr. Carpenter's partner in business, will remain a few days in McLeansboro and will be accompanied home by Paul Eckley, who will assist in settling the affairs of his cousin.

          The value of the estate left by Mr. Carpenter is estimated at about $55,000.  It comprises his interest in the clothing store, share in the First National bank of this city, real estate in St. Joseph and stock in a concrete manufacturing concern besides other holdings of a valuable nature.

          No will has been found but to search through his papers has been protected.  The clothing store will remain closed until after Mr. Starkey's return and as invoice of the stock is made.

          Buel Wright and R. L. Williams, who had charge of the remains en route to McLeansboro, returned home Tuesday evening.

From: Felty's Legacy of Kin, Vol. I., p. 87
Pub. Times, November 2, 1904
Harry H. Carpenter, aged 46 yrs., b. in McLeansboro; d. 27 Oct 1905 born in Chillicothe, Mo.  Protege of his relative Judge S. S. Marshall, who for 22 yrs. was "the father of the U. S. Congress."  Spent 3 yrs. at West Point Academy.  Moved to Chillicothe in 1889.  Cousin of Mrs. Rose Eckeley of McL.  Interred IOOF McL.

Back to Hamilton CountyBack to Obituaries