IN HAMILTON COUNTY - 1887
History of Hamilton County, Illinois
Dahlgren is situated on the Louisville & Nashville Railroad, in the northwestern part of Hamilton County, eleven miles from McLeansboro. It began to be settled in December, 1870. It was the result of the building of that railroad, and was named in honor of Gen. Dahlgren, who at that time had, it is believed, an interest in the road. The town was originally built on land owned by Abel Kuykendall and A. M. Sturman. The first building was erected by James Steel in 1870 for the purpose of selling goods. Samuel M. Butler began selling dry goods in the same building about March, 1871, and continued in the same business until 1883. About the time the town was started Nathan Garrison established himself in the lumber business, and coupled with that the sale of agricultural implements. The first mill was built by A. M. Sturman & Sons in 1873, since which time they had been engaged in grinding wheat and corn. From 1873 to 1883, they ran a saw mill in connection with the flouring mill. In May, 1871, James M. Burton erected the second store building in the place and commenced selling dry goods. Judge A. M. Sturman built the third, and John Halley the fourth, both of the latter also in 1871. James T. Spence & Co. erected a stave factory, but after three years discontinued the business. The first hotel was built in 1871 by William Carman who continued the proprietor about two years. In 1884, David Usry erected the first livery stable and since that time has, as a general thing, continued its management. The present business of the town consists of five dry goods stores conducted by A. M. Grigg, A. Aydt, John Halley, Samuel N. Hollowell and B. Brumbaugh; groceries, Barney Wingett and James Monroe; hardware, Solomon Aydt; drug store, J. Burton; harness shop, Charles Aydt; furniture, Nathan Garrison, who also deals in grain, farming implements, ties, etc.; blacksmiths, George McMahon, William Hogue and George Sinks; hotel, David Usry; livery and feed stable, David Usry and George W. Rose; physicians, W. D. Karns, A. M. Brumbaugh and L. C. Morgan; lawyers, Thomas Shipley and L. W. Cremeens; shoemakers, C. M. Brookins and W. B. Underwood.
Dahlgren Lodge, No. 37, of the Order of Tonti, was chartered on August 28, 1886, with twenty-two charter members. The first officers were Past President, Ira A. Goodridge; President, A. M. Grigg; Vice-President, Dr. A. M. Brumbaugh; Secretary, George Miller; Treasurer, Mar. Sturman; Guard, Lewis Shelton; Sentinel, John C. Bowen; Medical Examiner, Dr. L. C. Morgan. The present membership is thirty-seven, and the present officers are A. M. Grigg, President; James M. Burton, Vice President; Ira A. Goodridge, Secretary; Mart. Sturman, Treasurer; John R. Grigg, Guard; John C. Brown, Sentinel; Dr. L. C. Morgan, Medical Examiner. The trustees are George Miller, Columbus S. Shelton and Dr. L. C. Morgan. Ira A. Goodridge is Deputy Supreme President of the general Order and has power to organize lodges.
Local Branch, No. 124, Order of the Iron Hall, was chartered on September 12, 1882, with ten members. The first officers were James M. Burton, Past Chief Justice; Ira A. Goodridge, Chief Justice; W. M. Spencer, Vice-Justice; E. A. Goodridge, Accountant; J. R. Knowles, Cashier; W. D. Karns, Adjustor and Medical Examiner; David Usry, Prelate; C. F. Goodridge, Herald; D. T. Robinson, Watchman; C. M. Brookins, Vidette; J. M. Burton, W. D. Karns, and David Usry, Trustees. The present membership is forty-two. There have been seven suspensions and one death. The present officers are W. R. Burton, Past Chief Justice; J. M. Burton, Chief Justice; C. M. Brookins, Vice Justice; W. D. Karns, Accountant and Medical Examiner; Albert Sturman, Cashier; L. W. Cremeens, Adjustor; O. W. Monroe, Prelate; J. M. Harris, Herald; G. W. McMahon, Watchman; John Irvin Vidette; W. R. Burton, J. H. Pace and G. W. Rose, Trustees. There has been paid out as sick benefits to members of this branch, $3,280. The original charter members were James M. Burton, Ira A. Goodridge, William M. Spencer, E.A. Goodridge, J. R. Knowles, W. D. Karns, Daniel Usry, C. F. Goodridge, D. T. Robinson and C. M. Brookins.
Thackeray is a small town on the Louisville & Nashville Railway, six miles east of McLeansboro. It is in the southwest quarter of the northeast corner of Section 5, Township 5, Range 7, and was surveyed on October 6, 1871. It was named after the English novelist, William Makepeace Thackeray, by the railway company. The first merchant was David Hamill, who was also first postmaster. The first merchant was David Hamill, who was also first postmaster. The present business comprises a general store kept by David Hamill, a grocery store by W. W. Buck & Co., a grocery and drug store by J. L. Millard, and blacksmith shops by J. N. Trout and A. W. Rankin. The physicians are Z. R. Millard and E. G. Neal. There are two churches, Missionary Roman Catholic and Methodist Episcopal, and a graded school. David Hamill is the present postmaster. Thackeray is headquarters for two gangs of section hands on the Louisville & Nashville Railway, working fourteen men. The population of the place is 165.
Logansport is located in Crook Township in the southeast quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 10, Township 5, Range 7. It was surveyed June 15, 1857. Eli York was the first merchant and Tilford Taylor the first saloonist. The post office was established about 1861 with John Hawthorn postmaster, who has retained the office ever since. The only business in the place for about fifteen years has been a “jug grocery.” The town was laid off by William Logan Malone, and named Logansport in his home.
Broughton lies in the northeast quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 8, and in the south half of the southwest quarter of Section 5, Township 7, Range 7. It was surveyed on May 4, 1872.
Jefferson City was platted June 4, 1857, and originally consisted of ten lots on each side of Main Street. There is nothing there now but an old brick house.
New London was surveyed May 15, 1857.
Two or three houses are all there is now of the town.
Rectorville was located on the northeast quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 17, Township 7, Range 7, and was surveyed February 25, 1857. It has since been vacated.
Macedonia lies in Section 31, Township 5, Range 5, and was surveyed January 20, 1858, and is now a flourishing little village.
Lovilla was located in the southwest quarter of the southwest quarter of Section 21, Township 4, Range 5, and was surveyed June 21, 1854. It was killed by the railroad avoiding it.
Walpole is situated on Section 4, Township 7, Range 6, and was surveyed March 11, 1857, and is now a fine little trading point.
Jamestown was situated in the southeast quarter of Section 36, Township 5, Range 7. It was surveyed December 14, 1857, but has since died a natural death.
Piopolis is located in the northwest quarter of the northeast quarter of Section 17, Township 4, Range 6. It was surveyed May 14, 1877, and named in honor of Pius IX. Here is the St. John’s Catholic Church, a store or two and the post office. St. John’s Catholic Church building is the finest edifice in the county.
Delafield is situated in the northwest quarter of the southeast quarter, and other adjacent quarters of Section 25, Township 4, Range 5. It now consists of little else than a station on the railroad.
Hoodville lies in the south half of the northeast quarter of Section 34, Township 5, Range 6. It was surveyed September 28, 1866. Hood’s addition was afterward made to it, when it was thought the town would be of some importance. There is now a store kept by Epperson Bros., and a saw mill. J. W. Epperson is postmaster. The population is now about fifty.
CITY (or BELLE PRAIRIE)
Belle City, or Belle Prairie as it is otherwise called, was laid out in February, 1862. Main Street runs north and south, Market Avenue and St. Charles Avenue, east and west. In the original plat there were twenty-five lots, a part of them 60x120 feet, a part 60x180 feet and a few 120x213 feet. Lewis’ addition was made April 22, 1863, and the town is now quite a flourishing little hamlet.
Copyright © 1999. All rights Reserved
to County Histories Back